Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wall Hangings and Art


This is the newest wall hanging I finished this evening. It's made with blood oranges dried and sprayed and strung with beads and driftwood. I've made them with regular oranges and am going to make them with lemons tomorrow. I've got them all dried, sprayed and ready to go. All I have to do is find more driftwood. It's getting more and more of a challenge to do so. There are so many people around here anymore, and the rangers are not as tolerant of people picking things up from the beach. I was shocked when I was stopped once not very long ago and was told I couldn't gather things from the beach. Gee whiz. I thought that was what the beach was for personally.

This piece is going to a shop in Arroyo Grande as well as quite a few other pieces from me and Laurie. We've been busy getting our art ready for sale in shops. This is exciting and fun for sure. All the hard work is about to pay off. Having our art in galleries and shops for sale is a dream come true. I've sold art this way most of my life, but every time I put my things in a shop I feel so proud. My art medium is different in many ways. I make art out of things from the earth. I see art in most things really. 

Laurie has been busy putting the last minute fixes and paint on her pieces as well. The rainy season is a good time to get these type of things done for the Spring when we will do art shows. Have to have enough pieces to sell.  Blood oranges are hard for me to find, but I'm going to look around and see if I can find others that have them and buy what I can.

I'm feeling a bit better. Laurie and I have suffered this winter with being cold, sinus, headaches, aches and pains. Next year we plan on being somewhere else more warm and dry. The rainy season here on the Central Coast is rough sometimes. It is when your pain depends on the humidity as well it's those days that we don't look forward too. This is why Laurie liked Arizona so much. Not my favorite place in the summer for sure.

Speaking of Arizona, many of our friends are already in Parker or Quartsite AZ. I so wish we were there, but we have Dr. business and attorney stuff to get done before I can really take off and travel. Laurie will be joining me along the way for a few days to a couple of weeks at various spots along the way. Laurie said she'll keep the home fires burning while I go out and find new adventures.  This is perfect in my mind. Laurie will be able to do her writing and art while I'm gone and I can come  home and enjoy home life when the road gets to be too much, or I get to missin' Laurie too much. 

I want to take more pictures and more notes when I travel this time. I say that pretty much every time, and end up so tired at the end of the day from all the fun I forget to write down everything. I have to be more disciplined. 

I'm not planning on taking a TV with me. This too may change. If I could get wi-fi everywhere I wouldn't bother with a TV and watch Youtube most of the time. I'll have to see what I decide as the time gets closer to get on the road. I can always come home and pick it up if I miss it that much. But I notice since being here and home all the time, I watch more TV that I care to admit. I'm hoping this will change soon. I'm weak.


 This one is made with regular oranges
 This one is interesting because the wood is made from a cactus skeleton I found in the desert by Parker, AZ. The shells come from Morro Bay, Ca. 

Laurie and I are so blessed to be able to do our passion daily. To have someone that understands your passion for art and seeing things come together to make a piece to be proud of. 

I love to see peoples faces when they come over to our home. First of all, it's pretty humble to start off, then it's filled with everything we've made. All the art on the walls is our own, and the painting have been painted by Laurie, right down to the shades on our lamps that I've painted and made an art piece. 

It's really fun to have someone in your life that you can trust to tell you the truth whether it's what you want to hear or not, but your know it's honest. That is rare. Laurie and I have been so blessed to have found each other. We've both been through some heavy stuff in life. To know that we now have someone that we love, trust, and have to be there good, bad, and wonderful. She's been there for me while I've been pretty sick and unable to do much for myself, and for that I'll always be grateful. I've tried to give Laurie the life she deserves. She deserves to be appreciated and loved. I've waited for her all my life and want to make sure she knows how grateful I am to have her in my life. I don't take her love and devotion lightly. We are a team first and foremost. WE are FAMILY.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment