Monday, April 1, 2013

Algodones Mexico

Warm weather welcomed Marilyn and myself into Algodones, Mexico. The border crossing closest to Yuma Arizona. 

Our drive from Santa Maria, CA was uneventful and pleasent. We talked about camping and listened to the radio to let the time pass. My friend Marilyn said she'd drive because she had just gotten a new Fiat. What a cute car. I love it and hope to maybe someday get one like it. You can't beat the gas mileage of 40mpg. That's my kind of car.

We stopped to eat and ended up getting there around 5pm. We checked in to the Hotel Algodones, then decided to walk around town a bit before everything closed. 

We found ourselves in an open cafe' with a lounge type singer. Lots of other Grindo's there having a great time, singing along, having a margarita. My kind of crowd. 

The food was fabulous, and lots of it. The drinks were a little watered down, but good just the same. But you can't beat the entertainment. I've always preferred live music to a juke box. 

Laurie wasn't able to go because we couldn't get her passport in time. But we are hoping to get it by fall and go together again, now that I"ve been there and know what it's all about. I feel safer taking her there. Sure missed her while I was gone, as well as Pickles. 

They were both glad to see me, as I was them when I returned. We are rarely apart, so it feels strange not being together anymore. When Laurie and I met on July 4th, 2011 we have been together 24/7 since. It feels better the more we are together. Although we are very different in many ways, we come together as one at the end of the day. It's very nice to know at the end of the day you have a friend, companion, and someone that truly cares about your well being. I'm so grateful for her.    

 

 This is pottery row. It's not as large as it once was covering blocks and blocks, now there are just a few places like this one that carry pretty much anything.


 This is my dentist. He was so nice and helpful telling me step by step what he was going. Almost pain free.
 Marilyn and I having our first meal and Margarita. Yummy! The gentleman behind us sang to us while we ate. Lovely time to relax before the dentist.

 This is Hotel Algodones courtyard. Beautiful Hotel and the people that work there are very nice and helpful. They have a shuttle that will take you into town anywhere you want to go and pick you up for free. Of course, there is a tip jar.
 This is Isrial. He is usually all smiles so it's funny he's not smiling in this picture. He was a lot of help to us while we were there, directing us to what we needed. Taco's yum


I have been looking forward to going to Algodones for a very long time. I used to go there 10 years ago when I lived in Blythe. It was very different then, but basically it's the same I suppose.
I found I couldn't get the same meds I was once able to get. Even with a prescription I couldn't get Vicodin or any of my other pain medicine. I've also noticed they no longer sell perfume as they once did. Now days, it's all about the dental work and glasses. 
I got a lovely pair of glasses, with bi-focals, and turn dark outside for the wonderful price of $135.00 including the exam. Can't beat that with a stick! I am very pleased with my trip there.
 I was also able to get myself and Laurie a new purse. I got a backpack and got just the perfect purse for her as well. I got 4 cigars for my neighbor from Cuba, and a few other little trinkets that made me happy.
I look forward to going back in the fall and getting more dental work done. It's starting to get humid and hot. Not bad, but enough to tell me I don't want to go back until it cools off again.

Now Laurie and I are getting ready for our trip to Lake Havasu Arizona. Laurie lived there when I met her in 2011. I lived there with her for 6 months before we moved into the RV and on the Colorado river.
We've got to pick up the stuff we left in a storage unit there. Hope we never do that again. Leaving things behind and having to go back and get them is a bigger hassle that we originally thought. It took us a year to be able to get back there to pick it up and that cost us a little bit over $750 in storage fee's. Hate it!  

It will be nice to be back in the area. We have friends we are going to try to go see while there, as well as try to see a couple we met while traveling. They are staying at The River Lodge, and hopefully we will be able to connect and get caught up. 

The one good thing about being on the road, is meeting people that become fast friends. Since changing my phone and number, I'm going to have to get on the ball and let others know of my new number. 

Today we are going to get things sewed up so we can be gone for a week. We have the neighbor that will water the garden I've just put in. In fact, last night I finished planting all I have room to plant at this time. I'm going to work more on the garden when I return. It's hard to concentrate on things when you know you are going out of town.

We will have to go through all our stuff once we get to Lake Havasu. I'm not sure if we will be able to get it all in the mini-van we rented. We've decided what doesn't fit will be left behind.

But in the meantime, it's nice being home and not having to go anywhere for a couple of days. 

I had a gig Saturday as a clown and it went very well. It was a large party and I mainly did balloons, and everyone was happy. I was tired, but managed to dance and have a good time anyway. The money will help with all that was spent in Mexico. I have a few more gigs this month, thank goodness.

 Clowning has taken a different direction for me lately. Not only have children changed throughout the years so have the parents. It doesn't hold the same spark as it once did. When you know you aren't really appreciated and loved, it's hard to get into it anymore. I know there are certain children that still have the innocence and for them it makes it worthwhile. But anymore, children are little adults. They grow up so quick, no time for childhood anymore. With all the technology in their lives they don't seem to relate to one another as we did as kids. 

I have to admit I'm so grateful I brought my kids up in the era I did. My kids didn't even mess with computers yet. They were in high school by the time they cared about any of that, and they spent most of their time outside. Those days are gone for many kids now days. When you see commercials telling kids to go out and play on TV you know somethings wrong. It saddens me.
  Today is a bit gloomy, so I'm not sure what I'll get done today. Perhaps nothing. I'm trying to learn to do nothing and it's ok. Being disabled is a process I'm learning. I keep thinking I can do what I used to be able to do, I'm so wrong. Laurie has watched my process of learning what NOT to do anymore. I get reminded with pain when I do something I'm not able to do when I was able bodied.

Learning to be disabled isn't an easy road when you are used to doing everything for yourself. Having someone else do things for you is hard, but necessary. It's all a learning curve. The thing is to be grateful instead of resentful. I'm now on the other side of the coin, where I must learn to let others do for me. I was the caregiver all of my life, so now it's time to turn that job over to someone else. Since I have trouble walking at the end of the day, I must rely on a cane, or some type of walker. Wow, that came into my life sooner than I ever thought.

I did get my disabled fishing license. I'm thrilled. My surf fishing pole is in Lake Havasu, and I look forward to bringing it back and doing some fishing. Nothing like fresh fish caught and eaten that day. When I lived in Oceano a block from the  beach I'd get up at 4 a.m. and surf fish, and come home around 8 a.m. with a bucket of surf perch.  Wonderful memories.

Hope everyone's Easter was fun and full of family and friends. Hopefully this year we as humans can find a way to get along, and realize we are all wanting peace and happiness in our lives. It's possible.

I've found when I live in gratefulness I'm peaceful and happy. I lack nothing. 

But when I start thinking in the way of lack is when I find myself feeling badly, so I'm trying to focus on my wealth of blessings. I wish this for you as well.

Namaste'   

  
 


        

No comments:

Post a Comment